April 11, 2011

Baby Talk, Entropion, and a Virus

Hey there!
 
Today was a rather interesting day...
 
My wonderful Bobby boy (my horse;) turned 19-years-old.
When I turned on the computer this morning, a window popped up saying it had a virus.  =O 
So, daddy was busy doctoring it up today and I couldn't use it till now.
I found a bunny in the shed where we store our alfalfa hay.
It was pretty cute:)
Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera with me...oh well.
 
Other than that, I guess it was a pretty normal day, really:)
 
I'm still waiting for my last ewe to lamb...
 
Lady Jane, nicknamed by my bro "da bomb". Yeah, she does look about ready to explode;) 
 
Poor little Ned has entropion.  
 
That's the technical name - his lower eyelids are rolled inward, causing the eyelashes to chafe the eyeball, which further causes the eye to water constantly.  If this isn't fixed, he will get an infection and eventually go blind.  This is a fairly common problem with lambs, although I've only had one other lamb with this problem.
 
So bro and I have been out there several times a day, me with Ned in my lap holding him still, and Alex unrolling the eyelids.  Unfortunately, the eyelids roll back under after awhile, and I don't know if we'll be able to fix it permanently.  There are two other ways to fix the problem, 1) securing the upper and lower eyelids together on the side with a suture, and 2) a shot of penicillin in the skin under the eye will cause a bubble to form keeping the eyelid in it's proper place.  Both of those options require a vet though, so I hope it doesn't come to that.  I don't want him to be blind, either, so I'm praying that the Lord will heal little Ned's eyes.
 
 
Aww, Ned and momma Esther:)
 
 
Now that he can see better, Ned has been quite lively - while we were out there, he started climbing on his mom;)
 
 
Sweet Pea and me - she really is a sweetie:)
 
 
Sweet little Percy - 2 days old today.  Since he was a single lamb, not a twin, he's actually pretty big=)
 
 
Alex doesn't spend a lot of time with the lambs - that's my department - but even he couldn't resist baby talking to Percy;)
 
Happy Trails, y'all!
 

0 interesting remarks:

Post a Comment

Comments are my one weakness - thanks for taking the time to say hello!